In this episode, Consultant Shane Bonser has a conversation with Andrew about the challenge he hears from clients around the country.
Shane shifted from being a butcher to building a career underground in the mines, swinging a spanner and driving trucks. He became a leader in Training and Competency and is a trusted expert in keeping people safe, skilled and effective, particularly in remote, high-risk environments.
Shane is hearing a lot of clients talk about the current influx of workers who are new to industry, particularly in mining and from varied backgrounds. Their challenge is how to manage these new people successfully through this career change, so they are inducted well and get to site knowing what to expect and with sufficient skills to be safe and effective.
We talk about:
- The potential of people succeeding in a career shift into high-risk industries like mining or oil and gas.
- Shane’s personal experience of starting in mining in the 90s vs the training offered today.
- The positive impact of the focus on Occupational Health and Safety on Training and Competency.
- The biggest challenges new to industry people face.
- A compelling conversation around Competency and Currency when it comes to training – especially in high-risk workplaces.